Rant Rave and Blog

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's all a SCAM!!!

OK, so recently I sold some of my extra stuff I have in basement on ebay. Good idea I thought. Well eBay, PayPal and UPS are all scam artisits. And here's why.

I sold 2 things on eBay last week. One for about $1000 and the other for about $1300. Ok good deal, I was hoping to get more for the first thing, but not bad. So ebay charges me $10.10 to list the 2 items, reasonable, not problem there. Then I find out after I sell these things that ebay then charges me another $66.00 for selling them. Why the hell do I pay them twice? When I put an add in the paper I pay them to put the add in and that's it. They don't come back later asking for commission. This is a bunch of crap. But it gets worse. So I sold the 2 items and the one guy pays me within seconds on paypal, cool I already got paid for the one item. Problem, since the item is over $500 I have to upgrade my account, and not only do I have to upgrade the account they are also going to take their cut, another $60.00. So I email the other who guy who bought the other item, asking him not to pay via paypal, three seconds later I get an email stating I just received another payment...CRAP! The guy paid via paypal as well. So paypal takes another $60.00. Now you may not think that is bad til you realize who owns paypal. FLIPPIN' eBay owns pay pal, so they have double dipped into my money. So off my 2 sales ebay has taken $10.10 to list, $66.00 commission, and $120.00 via paypal. Those bastards. I understand making money, but come on, eBay just made almost $200.00 on a $2300.00 sale. That's almost 10% down the drain that I just lost. OK so I am already pissed about the whole eBay/PayPal scam...and it is a scam believe me, but to top it off I went to send the servers out today and went to the UPS Store. And had the worse experience ever, well maybe not ever, but close to it.

I get there and carry in the items I sold which aren't light. after which the lady tells me, oh you could have parked out front and used the cart. Now you tell me. So one of the items doesn't have a box and I need one. They tell me because of the size I will have to get a custom box, ok I say how much is it....oh $40.00 they tell me. Are freaking crazy? $40.00 for a box? I turn around and see a box marked $12.99. I say why can't I use that box? Oh you can she says to me. OK so why would I pay $40.00 for a custom box when the $12.99 box will do just fine. She doesn't know. So we use the $12.99 box. Then she puts the one item on the scale and tells me how much it will be, I say ok. She asks if I want insurance, I ask how much it is. She say $1.25 for every $100. I say ok, give me $800 insurance. Ok package one done. On to package 2, this is the one without a box. So she asks if I want fragile packing, I ask what's the difference. She says fragile packaging is bubble wrap and non-fragile packaging uses peanuts. I tell her the peanuts are fine. So we move on. We get to the point where it is time to pay. She tells me the total is $150.29, I only charged the people I who bought the stuff $110.00, crap. So I look at the receipt and see a $19.99 charge. I ask what that is for she said the box. I tell her the box says it's $12.99. She says that's for the box, the extra $7.00 is for tape and peanuts. You have to be kidding me I tell her. i also inform her this is the last time I am coming to this store. So back to work I go. And I start looking at my receipt. I then see she charged me $11.50 for insurance. If you remember I asked for $800 insurance at $1.25/$100. By my math that is $10.00, but UPS math that is $11.50. Then I continue to look and I see a handling charge of $11.75 on the boxless item. So not only did they charge me for the peanuts and tape, they charged my another $11.75 to put them in and on. What kind of crap is that. Oh, they also charge a fuel surcharge, what is this for?

So to make my long story short I got SCREWED...3 TIMES!

4 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Brett said...

That's a rant. A nice recap of all the hidden or at least unexpected costs. I can feel 1% of your pain since my stuff usually sells for 20 bucks at the most.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Wasn;t the stuff you sold "Acquired" for free from an unnamed former employer?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Todd said...

Like George Costanza, eBay should not double dip.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Old Man Kirby said...

The point isn't how I came in possession of the stuff, nor is it how much I paid for the items. eBay didn't say "oh he got the stuff cheap let's rip him off" or "wow he over paid for the stuff let's not charge him as much". The point is ebay charged me 2 times in the name of eBay and another time in the name of PayPal. That's 3 cahrges from the same place for the same thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home