Rant Rave and Blog

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Doh!

Well a couple of weeks ago our garbage disposal broke. No biggie I will go get a new one and put it in. So off to Sears I went and found a pretty nice garbage disposal, better than our broken one, on sale. So I purchased the disposal and came home with it to show my wife. Her first words were who's going to install it? I said me of course. She asked if I ever installed one, I said no but how hard can it be. Turned out it wasn't that hard. I got the old one out and the new one in, in less than 1/2 an hour. I turned it on made sure it disposed of stuff and called it done.

The next day our dishwasher breaks. The stupid pump to drain the water out stopped working. So I got the shop vac out and sucked the water out. This is how we did dishes for a while, we would run the dishwasher then suck the water out, when I say a while I mean like 4 times. So this past weekend we went dishwasher shopping. We went to Lowes where they had a very nice one we liked, then went to Home Depot where they didn't have the same one, but a very comparable one. We ended up with the one from Home Depot. But we can't get it delivered til Wednesday.

So Wednesday comes around. They are supposed to be there between 11 and 3, they show up at 12:30. They haul away my old dishwasher for 1 cent. The then bring my new dishwasher in for $55.00, which I have a $55 mail in rebate for, so it turns out they delivered it for free. After 3 trips to Home Depot to get the parts I needed to extend my water line and electric I begin to hook it up.

Ok 1 hour goes by and everything is hooked up. Shouldn't have taken this long but it did. I then go to put it back in the hole which the old one came from.....it doesn't fit! What?! I though all these things were the same size. It's about 1/8 of an inch wider than the other one. So I go get my Dremel and sand off 1/8 of an inch from the hole and taa dow it's in. All that's left is to hook up the drainage hose to the garbage Disposal and I am on my way.

Ok all hooked up, I run a rinse only load first just to test it out. It seems to work, but then I hear a dripping. I look over at my sink and water is coming out from underneath. Crap the clamp they gave me wasn't tight enough and water seeped out. So I got a different clamp from the garage and put that sucker on there nice and tight. I run the load again. This time I get an EO error. I look up what this means, and it means there is a drainage problem. Crap that's the same thing that happened to my other dishwasher.

I unhook the drainage hose from the disposal and stick my screwdriver into the hole to make sure it isn't clogged. Wouldn't you know it! I can't get my screwdriver throught he hole. There is a plug closing the hole. I go to my garage and this time read the instruction manual that came with my New Garbage Disposal. And what does it say under the part labeled to Hook up with dishwasher. it says to pound out the plug with a screwdriver and hammer. Flippin' thing.

I pound it out and VOILA the dishwasher is working. So after 2 floods of the kitchen floor and grief from the wife, though not as much as I thought I was going to get, I have a working dishwasher that I didn't need and garbage disposal. Yee Freaking Ha.......btw. I really like the new dishwasher.

2 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Brett said...

Taa dow!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Todd said...

Oh snap!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home