Rant Rave and Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Chili Cook Off

OK for the past 7 or years I have been wanting to go to the Chili Cook Off in York. In the past I have either been out of town or they have been out of chili by the time I got there. This year all the stars aligned for me and finally this year I got to go and since I got there when they opened they still had chili, in fact some didn't even have their chili ready yet I was so on time.

So here are some of my experiences from my first Chili Cook Off in York.

It's $5.00 to get in, but all that gets you is in? It's another $5.00 to sample 10 chili's. I didn't think that was enough so I bought 30 chili's worth of tickets to split between myself, my wife, her sister and our kids. I thought I was going to have to go back and buy more tickets, but it was PLENTY, in fact we ended up giving like 8 tickets away.

The $5.00 entrance fee and $5.00/10 chili fee doesn't get you anything to drink. You need to either buy beer tickets @ $3.00/ea. (a fair price) or buy a drink from one of the vendors. I optioned for the combo, beer and ice tea. Thanks to having the hook up (Rhett) the beer was an even better price.

None of the chili really stood out as a winner, they were all ok, nothing really interesting. The most interesting one there was a Buffalo Chicken Chili, but I couldn't find any chicken in mine. Also There was one REALLY hot one, but I don't remember the name of the place, just some signs stating their chili was hot, it was.

I think next year I will enter my spam chili, if nothing else it should prove to be a fun time. And none of the other chili really seemed all that great to me, so what the heck, I think I will give it a go!

There were some attitudes at the cook off. I went around with Rich tasting the chili. We got to one tent and their were 2 pots, so Rich asked if the chili was different. They stated a smart ass answer of "Yes, two pots, two different chilis, two different cooks, they share nothing in common" Well I then pointed out that "they share the same tent with the same sign. So they do share something in common. " Jackass!

Paddywack wasn't wack. They were pretty good.

I didn't vote for any one's chili because they were all pretty much the same.

OK, I think that's it. Overall it was a good time, but I would recommend leaving the kids home, there really isn't anything for them to do and they don't really like chili that much, except Jack who likes everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home